Brooklynn, My Little Sidekick

Brooklynn, My Little Sidekick
She keeps me sane and, at the same time, drives me insane...I am sure God stays amused by this irony.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

While The Cat Is Away...

Months passed by as I remained in this tortured state of mind, and soon the next year was well into play. I had delegated responsibilities among my employees and relied on them for the daily operations of my shop. My participation entailed quick phone calls in which I pretended to be interested in how everything was going. However, I was not fooling anyone because they could not help but notice the absence of my once hawk-like supervision. As the old saying goes, “While the cat is away, the mice will play”. Little did I know or care, my mice were playing a lot during this time. This suddenly came to my attention when my phone rang one afternoon waking me from sleep. At first I did not answer, but after it continued to ring I picked it up and angrily asked who it was. My bank informed me that I needed to come in so they could speak with me about a problem with my business account. I asked them if they could take this up with my manager, in which they replied “no”. I told them I would be in the following morning, but they informed me it would be best to come in immediately. As I showered, I began to feel for the first time since my mother’s death. Unfortunately, it was fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment